Almost all of the wood used is from Orcas Island Tonewoods. Well seasoned, and I have a great variety. I'm well stocked with Sitka (my favorite), Adirondack (Red), Engelmann, and some Euro. For maple, Big Leaf, Red, Sugar, and a little Euro. All necks are sugar. Breaking from what's commonly used, I have a fantastic supply of OG bog rescued redwood, Doug fir, and figured walnut. The woodpile is constantly growing. That's Bruce on the top of his Island, in the middle of a ten mile hike! He's been harvesting tonewoods for around four decades, and every trip up is an amazing learning experience!
I use hide glue throughout, except for gluing kerfing to the ribs (Titebond) and binding (Duco).
I experimented with forward and centered X-bracing quite a bit early on. I've dialed in the tone bars quite a bit more in the past few years. That's what I'll be sticking with from here on. Still changing shapes, and experimenting with voicing. Having fun with it, and learning all the time!
Finishing: Water Based Aniline Dyes, and Switching to a Brushed Alkyd Resin Oil Varnish & Getting Away From Spirit Varnish
I'll spare y'all the details, but I'm leaving shellac based varnish behind, and I started brushing an alkyd resin, oil varnish as of August of 2023. I will be doing a very thin French polished top coat. I made it up to #88 with spirit varnish, and I'm completely changing gears. Too much heat. I'm getting out of the kitchen. I'll see how it goes, and update here if things change.